|1850 United States Federal Census Record
about Nicholas Marmion
Name: Nicholas Marmion
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1800
Birth Place: Ireland
Home in 1850
(City,County,State): Harpers Ferry, Jefferson, Virginia
| Dr Nicholas Marmion was John Brown's physician before the raid occured, it would seem that John Brown was in town awhile before his attemeped raid on the Armory, which was started by Dr Nicholas Marmion's father in law John Hall inventor of the breech loading rifle. Then Dr John Starry attended to John Brown after the raid.. Dr Nicholas Marmion attended to Lt Green and Private Quinn of Col Robert E Lee's Militia, who were sent to end the raid. Dr Nicholas Marmion was in his 60's during this incident.
Late on the night of October 16, 1859, John Brown and 21 armed followers stole into the town of Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now part of West Virginia), as most of its residents slept, the population being about 5,000. They shot at any residents that were out and about. They took 60 prominent locals hostage and seized the town's United States Arsenal Hall Riffle Works With the nighttime surprise, the raiders had the upper hand. But that didn't last long. By the next evening, the conspirators were holed-up in an engine house. The next day Colonel Robert E. Lee's troops stormed the building and Brown was caught. For his actions, he was quickly tried and convicted of murder, slave insurrection, and treason against the state and sentenced to death by hanging. He had lost two sons in the raid. But John Brown was willing to give everything, even his life, in the fight against slavery. Brown said the slave-holding community was, by its nature, in a state of war; thus drastic actions were necessary and justified. While helping to liberate slaves over the previous 10 years, he had become more and more aggressive. The Harpers Ferry raid inflamed the emotions of parties on both sides of the conflict.(from http://www.americaslibrary.gov)
also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpers_Ferry,_West_Virginia
|Dr Marmion was one of the elected directors of the Shenandoah Bridge Co|
|Marmion family papers, 1822–1928. 84 items. Mss1M3455a. Microfilm reel C120.Papers of Dr. Nicholas Marmion of Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County (now W.Va.), includean 1851 agreement with Elizabeth Aldstaat concerning the hiring of Ann, with extensive conditionscovering Ann's services (section 4).501 Marrow|
|There was also a Miss Marmion, a sister of Dr. George Marmion, who married my cousin Lizzie Wood. The girls came into he reception room to see us. And each one gave us a pocket handkerchief or a pin cushion. We were well fed, and a good lunch was laid out for our journey. One of the sisters was an aunt of Dr. Marmion and afterwards came to Wilmington to the Convent here. The Sisters had been on the house top watching the battle of Monocracy and were delighted with our victory.(from http://library.uncw.edu/web/collections/manuscript/TFWdiary.html)|
| good reading:
Harpers Ferry (Images of America)
|In Harpers Ferry, the scene of the raid by the abolitionist John Brown in 1859, the old town, a National Historical Park, is being restored to its appearance in the 19th century. Guided walking tours along its brick streets are led by Park Service interpreters, and a film about the town's history is shown in Park Service headquarters. Among the sites are John Brown's Fort (rebuilt and moved) where Brown made his last stand, a Brown museum, restored private homes dating to 1832-50 on Marmion Row and the ruins of the Episcopal Church, which was used a guardhouse and hospital during the Civil War. (recently in the NY Times)|
|Excerpt from the Civil War Journal of Annie daughter of Dr Nicholas Marmion, Harpers Ferry
"And so two days and nights pass without a hope of the end being near; houses are destroyed in various parts of thetown; in one the shellfirst kills an infant in its mother’sarms, and then wounds the mother so she does not recover foryears after."-Annie Marmion, describing the Battle of 1862
|Dr. Nicholas Marmion & Family of
Ballylucas Townland, Rathmullan Upper Parish, County Down, Ireland & Harpers Ferry WV
Harpers Ferry VA
Nicholas Marmion 63 head, physician
Lydia Marmion 42 wife
George Marmion 18 son, med student
Robert Marmion 16 son
Mary Marmion 13 daughter
Isabel Marmion 10 daughter
Anna Marmion 9 daughter
Nicholas Marmion 6 son
Rosalie Marmion 3 daughter
May Hall 32 sister in law
Thomas Brien 14 not stated
Shepherdstown, Jefferson, West Virginia
Nicholas Marmion 85 head, physician (widowed)
Mary Marmion 34 daughter
Isabella Marmion 31 daughter
Annie P. Marmion 28 daughter
Rosalee L. Marmion 24 daughter
Robert Marmion 39 son
|also see newspapers clips of the Marmion Family of Harpers Ferry|
Dr Marmion's Family letters to be
available here soon
and Immigration Lists,
Name: Dr. N. Marmion
Arrival Date: 06 Nov 1871
Port of Departure: Bremen
Ship Type: Steam Ship
Port of Arrival: Baltimore
Place of Origin: Harpers Ferry
National Archives' Series Number: M255
Microfilm Roll Number: 19
List Number: 128
Dr. Nicholas Marmion was born in the town of Downpatrick, County Down, Ireland. Nicholas Marmion was the son of Patrick Marmion and Isabel Clarke of Rathmullan Upper, County Down, Northern Ireland. He ame to this country about 1827.. First staying with Dr Richard McSherry of VA. His first job was tutor to the children of Col Isaac Hite and Nelly Madison Hite (sister of soon to be President James Madison) He then attended medical school. After obtaining a degree in medicine settled at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, where he was successfully engaged in the practice of his profession there for more than half a century, until his death in 1882. He married, at Harpers Ferry, Lydia Hall, born in Portland, Maine, and of their fourteen children ten died young, the others being: William, Mary, Isabella and Annie.
Annie was educated at private schools in that town and by private tutors.During the Civil War kept a journal pubished under the title "Under FIre" She was also a student at the Convent of the Visitation, from which she was graduated. Since her graduation she has been engaged in teaching in a school in Frederick, and has also given musical instruction in the same town.
Captain John H. Hall, father of Lydia (Hall) Marmion, was born in York, Maine. He was renowned as being the inventor of the breechloading rifle used in the war of 1812 and the Mexican war, and was superintendent of the Hall Rifle Works at Harpers Ferry from about 1800 to 1825. He married Statira Preble, of Portland, Maine, and had children: John, a school teacher; William, who became a judge of the supreme court; Willard, at one time governor of Missouri; George, a brigadier-general in the Union army; Mary, a sister of mercy; Lydia, married Dr. Nicholas Marmion.
Birth: 15 Aug 1798 Downpatrick, Down, Northern Ireland
Death: 1882 - Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, USA
|For Lodging in Harpers Ferry Contact:
|above center Dr Nicholas Marmion's first home. Above right looking down the street from the doctor's house at Harpers Ferry.
All Harpers Ferry photos were generously sent by Charles and Charlotte T. who now own the house.
Mr and Mrs T write:
Dr. Nicholas Marmion's house built on property leased from the government in 1829. To the right of the house is what is now our garden. Because of the amount of stone found in this area we know that this is where they worked the stone to build the house. To the left of the house is our parking lot. The house was restored to its original appearance. The walls are from 3 feet at the base to 2 feet thick at the top, stone (Harpers Ferry shale). Originally the stone was covered with pebble dash coating. At some later date, probably after the civil war, the pebble dash was covered with ashlar and struck to approximate large stone blocks. Originally the roof was cedar shingles, replaced mid-19th century with standing seam tin. When we purchased the house the upper porch on the back of the house was missing. We restored the porches to their original appearance. Downstairs on the first floor, the lowest level, is the big cooking fireplace and Dr. Marmion's apothecary shop. The first floor directly above to the right was Dr. Marmion's surgery. A double shuttered window on the back of the surgery maintained privacy for patients when people were sitting on the back porch. The third floor, during the 19th century, was the main living quarters and bedroom (which is today 2 bedrooms). The forth floor originally had 5 dormer windows, called the garret,containing 2 bedrooms. All rooms are divided 1st floor to 4th floor by stairway. Each room has its own fireplace. Including the cooking fireplace in the basement there are 7 working fireplaces in the house. After viewing your website I realized that the ideas for the house came directly from the houses pictured in Ireland. At the back of the property running down to Potomac Street was at one time the town well.
Dr. Nick had much correspondence with the government. Early 1840s when the government needed space for housing and would not renew the lease on the property they offered Dr. Nick approximately $2000 for the house. He immediately responded by saying that he had more than $2000 in the retaining wall that runs across the back of the house. The house itself sits on a huge rock ledge and the retaining walls were necessary in order to have the garden, the cistern and the yard. He finally settled with the government, after much correspondence, much of which is in the National Park Service library, for about $4,000. Much of the correspondence including the legal actions he took against some of the builders of the house reveal much about his character. He seemed to know exactly what he wanted and expected people to meet his expectations. In the mid-1840s he built the Marmion properties down the street. That's where he and the family lived during the war as decscribed in Annie's book "Under Fire". This house at the time was continually occupied by both North and South. Because of its high elevation it was used as observation posts for sharp shooters. The legend has it that they used the fireplaces for making bullets. I found the original marble block and lead used in that process buried in the back yard. I am amazed that with all the fighting in town and the bombardment from the surrounding hills that there is still quite a bit of original woodwork still in the house. There are enough pieces of original moldings that I could use to reproduce just about everything.
|below, other views of the home|