John Marmion/Marmon b. c1798, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia f: Patrick Marmion m: Catherine Evans

MARMON, John. Born in the Colony

1822 Aug 21
Re his distressed condition (Reel 6055; 4/1761 p.125)

F Goulburn Esqre  21 Aug 1822

Hoping that my Distressed situation will be a sufficient excuse for this intrusion, I take the Liberty of recalling to your Honours recollection the Promise you were so good to make to my sister when I last applied to your honour, Viz., to have me sent on board of some vessel. I am aware that my case when compared to the affairs of importance that daily claims your Honours attention is very trifling, but I Humbly hope that your Honour will be pleased to dedicate a few minutes of your time to the arrangements of my affair and Dispose of me in some manner so that I may be released from this wretched place.
I remain Sir
your most Humble Servant

Sydney Gaol  John Marmon
August 21st

1823 Apr 14-May 8
Sentenced to hard labour on colonial vessel for two years. In reports of prisoners tried at Court of Criminal Jurisdiction (Reel 6023; X820 p.97)
"... Charged with stealing one miniature picture value twenty shillings the goods of John Crocker of Sydney. Guilty. To be kept to hard labour on board one of His Majesty's colonial vessels for the term of two years from twenty eighth April instant..."

Sentenced to two years on board one of the colonial vessels.
Petition to be put on board a vessel (Reel 6056; 4/1763 p.237)

1823 Apr 16
Convicted for robbing house of Richard Read in Upper Pitt Street.
Petition of Samuel Lyons for mitigation of sentence (Fiche 3234; 4/1870 p.14)

1823 Aug 30
Request for copy of proceedings at the Sydney Police Court of his case (Reel 6011; 4/3509 p.152)

1823 Sep 5
Received on board Colonial vessel (Reel 6057; 4/1767 p.64)
Marmon, John (from Encyclopedia of New Zealand, The Dictionary of New Zealand Biography)

Sailor, convict, Pakeha-Maori, interpreter, shopkeeper, sawyer, carpenter, soldier
By Roger Wigglesworth

John, commonly known as Jacky, Marmon was born in Sydney, New South Wales, probably on 5 June 1800, although some sources give the year of his birth as 1798 or 1799. He was the son of Patrick Marmon, a convict of Irish descent; his mother's name is unknown. Between the ages of 11 and 23 Marmon served aboard colonial merchant vessels sailing throughout the Pacific and between the Australian colonies. In April 1823 he was convicted of theft in Sydney, and was sentenced to be kept at hard labour on board colonial government vessels for two years.
He was aboard the Elizabeth Henrietta when it sailed to New Zealand in November 1823. Marmon probably left the brig on arrival, to settle permanently in the Hokianga district, initially under the protection of Muriwai. Marmon later claimed that the social disgrace of his conviction for theft (he maintained that he was innocent) was the reason for his decision to leave New South Wales permanently.
From the 1820s Marmon lived as a Maori. He married Ihipera (Isabella), daughter of Hone Kingi Raumati, by 1835. He also had liaisons with other Maori women; his only child, Mere (Mary), who was born in 1826, was the daughter of another of Raumati's daughters, Hauauru. He became fluent in the Maori language, adopted a Maori lifestyle (his name, transliterated into Maori, was Haki Mamene) and, reportedly, had a moko. He also accompanied Hokianga Nga Puhi on their raids under the leadership of Hongi Hika. For instance, he was reported as having participated in the attack on Te Ika-a-ranga-nui pa in March 1825.
Towards the end of the 1820s European traders began to visit the Hokianga Harbour regularly to purchase the easily accessible, high-quality timber near the river. As well as becoming useful to both Maori and traders as a negotiator and interpreter, Marmon is said to have run a grog shop. As the European population of the Hokianga area grew, he was much in demand as an interpreter, and was recognised as being more fluent than the missionaries. In 1835 he was the interpreter at William White's trial. He was also involved in negotiating land sales, most notably the sale of Horeke to William Stewart and Captain Deloitte in 1826. In addition Marmon found paid employment as a sawyer and carpenter. He is reported to have built houses for F. E. Maning and J. R. Clendon, as well as several of the buildings at the dockyard and settlement of Horeke. Thus, by the mid 1830s Marmon was in a sound enough financial position to purchase more land for himself from the Maori and to build a large house on it.
Marmon was a Roman Catholic and he helped Bishop J. B. F. Pompallier to establish his mission in the Hokianga area in 1838–39. He is said to have had his Wesleyan marriage to Tauro, whom he had wed by 1836, reconsecrated by the bishop in 1838. However, the only documentary evidence of a marriage is contained in Wesleyan records, which state that John Marmon married a woman named Pungi on 9 January 1838 at Mangungu.
Marmon gained some notoriety in official circles for his attempts to dissuade Hokianga Maori from signing the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840. However, during Hone Heke's revolt of 1845, he, like many other Hokianga Europeans and Maori, actively supported the British troops. Marmon was involved in several engagements. He distinguished himself during the taking of Ohaeawai pa by succeeding in recovering the bodies of the Europeans slain and wounded during the assault on 1 July.
Marmon's fortunes declined with the collapse of the Hokianga timber trade in the 1840s. The 523 acres he had purchased at Rawhia proved to be unsuited to intensive cultivation or to livestock raising. He was therefore obliged to rely again on Maori support. In his later years he lived a reclusive life, largely on his own at Rawhia, or with his Maori relatives around the Hokianga or Whangape harbours. He died at Rawhia on 3 September 1880.
Marmon's criminal record, his close association with the Maori, his bellicose temperament, and the widespread belief that he had been a cannibal, meant that he was never accepted by the emergent European society. Self-styled leaders of the community, such as Thomas McDonnell and the Wesleyan missionaries, regarded him as an evil influence on both Maori and European societies on the river. Indeed, in later years, Marmon, a short, ruddy-faced man, who invariably wore a top-hat, was the bogeyman with whom errant Hokianga children were threatened.
The Maori, however, sustained and accepted him, protected him from official attempts in the 1820s and 1830s to have him returned to New South Wales and, to the end, regarded his name with the greatest respect because of his close association with the great Hokianga chiefs.

Also refer: The life and adventures of John Marmon, the Hokianga P?keh? M?ori, or, Seventy-five years in New Zealand. Marmon, John, 1798-1880. Published 1880-1881, New Zealand newspapers.
AND "Cannibal Jack" The Life and Times of Jacky Marmon, a Pakeha-Maori, by Trevor Bentley... " In a frontier society full of colourful characters in early nineteenth century New Zealand, Jacky Marmon, more commonly known as Cannibal Jack, was more colourful than most."

Shipping records from:

In April 1811 Captain Simmonds arrived at the Bay of Islands with his ship Hawich. The ship had been caught in a storm and a local Maori chief came on board to provide assistance to the ailing ship and crew. They vessel was in much need of repair before continuing it’s voyage to the whaling fishery. Among the crew was a man who would later become a famous name in pre-colonial New Zealand history. John (Jacky) Marmon’s account of life as Pakeha Maori in northern New Zealand is one of just a few documented tales of the adventurous men who immersed themselves in Maori life and culture.

Captain Edwards sailed Mercury into the Bay of Islands in mid November 1822. He was on his way to the whaling fishery from Sydney. When he arrived back on March 29 1924 Mercury’s cargo was almost full of oil but Captain Edwards was not a well man. After just a few days at land to recuperate from his illness, he sailed Mercury for the fishery again. In March 1825 the brig Mercury entered Whangaroa Harbour eager for supplies, but the ship was quickly boarded and over run by local Maori. The New Zealanders stayed on board all night, much to the dismay of the fear filled crew. The next day William White from the missionary station boarded Mercury and managed to persuade some of the Maori to leave, before going back ashore himself. Mercury’s captain, desperate to get out, began towing to sea, but the remaining Maori attacked and the captain and crew fled in the ship’s jolly and whaleboats. John Marmon was among the captured crew. He later wrote a book of his time in New Zealand, one of the few written accounts of an early European resident among New Zealand Maori. Missionary White again boarded Mercury where he found the ship’s mate, cook and steward. When the Maori had finally left the ship, White tried to help the men get Mercury out to sea but she was in such a state that they had to abandon her and return to Whangaroa in White’s boat. Mercury’s survivors where taken to the Bay of Islands where they were given passage back to Sydney on Polkington.

From: Journeys in Time, Ship List:

Government brig: 150 tons. Launched 12 June 1816 at Sydney - named in honour of Governor Macquarie's wife. (Originally was to have been named Portland). The vessel was originally ordered in 1797 and the keel laid in 1800; however its completion was delayed due to a lack of shipwrights in the colony. Capsized at Newcastle at its Hunter River mooring during the early hours of 16 July 1816; the wife of the master,Joseph Ross, and a crewman named Patrick Fitzgerald were trapped below deck, and drowned. The Lady Nelson and the Nautilus were sent from Sydney to right the capsized vessel. She was found to have received little damage and arrived in Sydney on 30 August with a cargo of coal.
Wrecked at Newcastle, NSW on 17 December 1825.
J O H N   M A R M I O N
of Australia
b 1798 (son of
Patrick Marmion)

From the Research of Bill Brown